The RoleThe role of the privacy officer
Your Privacy Officer is your first line of defence
Your Privacy Officer will be required to:
- Be fully conversant with the Privacy Act 2020
- Respond to all client requests for Personal Information within the legislated deadlines
- Report breaches to the Privacy Commission
- Work with the Privacy Commission when it investigates complaints
- Ensure your business complies with the Privacy Act 2020
- Act as the liaison for your clients and the Privacy Commission
- Educate and train staff to ensure that all staff are aware of their responsibilities
Your Privacy Officer will be responsible for:
- Ensuring your business complies with the Privacy Act 2020
- Applying the Privacy Principles within your business
- Liaising with the Privacy Commission
- Co-ordinating internal and external privacy enquiries
- Co-ordinating internal and external privacy complaints
- Maintaining a record of the Personal Information held by your business
- Privacy Impact Assessments
- Internal Audits of systems and process within your business
- Training and Education of contractors and staff
What does a Privacy Officer need to know?
A Privacy Officer is responsible for the agency's daily privacy operations and must be familiar with the Privacy Act 2020 and the 13 Privacy Principles. As well as managing all inquiry's about information that is held a competent Privacy Officer will also take a leadership role to define, develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures to enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimise the risk and ensure the confidentiality of personal information. Knowing where Personal Information is stored and who has access to it is an essential part of this process.
On an ongoing basis a Privacy Officer will conduct audits to monitor compliance and patterns of behavior and take a leadership role to oversee and deliver initial and ongoing training to the workforce.
The Privacy Officer is the first point of contact for any enquiry about Personal Information and must have a complete range of knowledge of the policies and procedures in place and must know what action to take for each enquiry or breach, both to keep the affected parties informed and also to minimise/contain the breach and to implement steps to ensure that the activity that caused a breach to occur does not happen again.
Train your staff with NZBT Today
New Zealand Business Tools offers comprehensive training for large and small business’s throughout New Zealand.
From group workshops, in house and individual training NZBT provides a range of training solutions for Privacy Officers ongoing training options for staff within your business.
Get In Touch
595 Halswell Junction Road
09 390 2000
04 390 4000
03 390 9090